Home page

Latest News

Diary Dates

Dales Trail

Event Reports

Our Cars

Club Regalia

YDMGOC

Contacts

Links

Yorkshire Dales Classic Car Club

 

Bill Burtonís Jowett Bradford

 

 

Bill purchased the van in 1996 from Peter Rodgers Car Sales in Huddersfield, it looked the same as it does today except for the sign writing, in those days it was liveried up as a bakers van, but Frank Hindmarsh, local sign writer, soon had it painted in the livery of Mr W. Handley Burton from Reeth, as it would have been back in the late 40s'.


The Bradford has a 1000cc twin flat engine, similar to modern day BMW motor bike engine. The chassis featured half elliptic leaf springs front and rear with beam axles. The front-mounted flat-twin engine produced 19 bhp (14 kW) and drove the rear wheels through a three speed non-synchromesh gearbox.

 

In 1950 the engine was updated to give 25 bhp (19 kW) and synchromesh was fitted to the top ratio. This improved the top speed to 53 mph (85 km/h). The 10 in (254 mm) drum brakes were operated mechanically using a Girling system.


Its colour is Victorian Maroon & Black, and sign written with Billís Fathers name as it would have been in 1946.